About the HPC
Glossary of Terms
- Process - the execution of a computer program. In SLURM/hpc terminology, this is a synonym for task.
- Thread (of execution) - the smallest unit of computation that can be managed independently by a scheduler.
- Multithreading - Threads that can be executed simultaneously, instead of one after the other. See this Reddit ELI5 for an excellent explanation of multithreading and concurrency.
- Hyperthreading - Intel's proprietary simultaneous multithreading technology on Intel CPUs.
- Node - What we think of as a single physical machine. A node can have multiple cores (or processors).
- pthreads (POSIX Threads) - An execution model that executes parrallelism, primarily made for UNIX.
- *OpenMP - Used for parrallelism within a node.
- *OpenMPI - Used for parrallelism between nodes.
Open MPI, SSE How to run MPI applications (srun)